I keep yammering away in favor of innovation, mission-driven strategic development, and a bunch of other things, all in the interest of urging schools to pull up their socks and get ready for the new times that are upon us.
It’s time, then, to be specific. Here, then, is a quick list of the topics that EVERY independent school should be making part of its discussions—at least be making itself aware of—in the 2011–12 school year. And don’t worry, they won’t go away, so perhaps you don’t have to get to ALL of them before the December break. (Astute readers will note an absence of the word “technology” from the main headings. Technology is a given, folks; it’s a matter of when and where it can applied to do the most good. You’ll find that power of technology implicitly embedded in much of what follows.)
- Design Thinking. What-ing?
- Data-informed decision-making
- Collaborative learning and (related issue) project design
- Smart assessment of student learning
- Social media—for advancement
- Social media—in the classroom
- New directions for your library
- Online learning
- Strategic professional
- Shorter horizons for strategic thinking
- Being Green